McAfee Antivirus is a comprehensive, laser-sharp cybersecurity software that offers unbeatable, cloud-based protection for all your connected devices. It provides multiple-device, cross-platform protection cover that is equipped with state-of-the-art, user-centric technology. With automatic and scheduled Scans, it allows users to completely forget about performing regular System Scans. However, it still gives you the option to perform a Scan at any point in time.
How To Run McAfee Antivirus Scan on your System?
- First and foremost, locate the installed McAfee Antivirus Software on your Computer. You may find the same in your Computer’s System Tray i.e. at the bottom right-hand corner of your monitor screen. In case, you cannot find it, click on the Inverted Triangle to expand it. Here, you will get the required McAfee Antivirus icon.
- Now, right-click on it.
- Select “Check For Mcafee Update” on the following Menu Box. In case if updates are available, Install the same properly. It is advised to always ensure that your Security Software must remain up-to-date.
- Thereafter, right-click on the McAfee Antivirus icon once again.
- Next, you must select “Open McAfee Antivirus”.
- As such, it leads you to the McAfee window. Here, you should click on “Virus and Spyware Protection” and expand the same.
- Subsequently, click on the “Scan Your PC” tab to open its Scan Options Panel.
- After that, you will have to select the Scan Type to secure your Computer. Here, you will find three options as listed below.
- Full – Holistic Scan that checks your entire Computer including every file, folder, location, drive etc. to detect any possible threat.
- Quick – A Quick Scan to check the key locations of your system that are more prone to infections and threats.
- Custom – Customize the Scan by manually selecting system locations, files, folders, and drives to check online threats.
- You can safely opt for Full Scan to get complete peace of mind. Besides, if you are performing a Scan for the first time, it is the most preferred option.
- As you select the Scan Option, McAfee Antivirus will start scanning your “Computer” to detect possible threats.
- The following window will display real-time progress of the McAfee Antivirus Scan. It may take 30 – 45 minutes. Hence, wait for the same to complete properly.
- Once finished, it will notify the same. Additionally, it will display a Status Summary. Hence, click “Done” to conclude.
- Finally, Close the McAfee Antivirus window.
- Then, Restart your “Computer” when prompted.
Understand Custom Scan
While performing the McAfee Antivirus System Scan, you get the option of Custom Scan. This option allows you to select specific system locations for detecting threats.
When you select this option, you can determine the following Scan Options from the “Customize Your Scan” panel.
Enlists the complete list of locations including drives, files, folders etc. Select or deselect the items individually.
Scan using minimal resources
Select this option if you have important tasks to perform along with the Scan. It will run the Scan in the background with the help of the least possible resources.
Select this option to detect every possible type of threats. You can even customize further by opting for specific threat by selecting one of the options.
- Unknown Viruses
- Stealth Programs
- Spyware and Potential Threats
All file types
Go for this option to include every file type on your system for complete threat detection. You can further narrow down your search by selecting one of the given options.
- Programs and documents only
- Exclude ZIP and other compressed files